What is union busting?
During union organizing campaigns employers hire a Labor Consultant (union buster) to run their anti-union campaign.
The union buster will orchestrate the anti-union campaign and make all decisions regarding the campaign. They are well aware of management’s advantages, both logistically and legally, and will use these advantages to counter the pro-union campaign.
Usually you never see the union buster, but their presence will be felt. Their campaign is built on deceit and lies. They will spread rumors and mistruths about the HNA and the union organizing process.
What can I expect from the union buster?
- Captive audience meetings. Management will hold captive audience meetings during work hours. They will have several unfounded reasons why they believe it is in your best interest to remain free from "outside interference."
- One-on-one meetings. Supervisors will hold one-on-one meetings with individual employees and try to convince them that they need to remain union free.
- Letters. The union buster will prepare anti-union letters and emails for management to distribute at work locations and to send to employees' homes.
- Anti-union committee. The union buster will help management form an anti-union committee. They will provide the resources and make promises to those who join.
- Sudden changes. Management will suddenly be interested about employees' issues and concerns. They may implement phony committees and grant wage and/or benefit improvements.
"Union busting is a field populated by bullies on deceit. A campaign against a union is an assault on the individuals and a war on the truth. As such, it is a war without honor. The only way to bust a union is to lie, distort, manipulate, threaten, and always, always attack. The law does not hamper the process. Rather, it serves to suggest maneuvers and define strategies. Each “union prevention” campaign, as the wars are called, turns on a combined strategy of misinformation and personal attacks".
From “Confessions of a Union Buster”
By Martin J. Levitt
***PLEASE CLICK ON THE "INQUIRY FORM" LINK UNDER THE ORGANIZING TAB TO SUBMIT ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE REGARDING ORGANIZING***